Bread Treacle Tart
Member recipe by englandpie
a really easy way of using up bread, its quite simple but delicious!
- For the Pastry
- 200g of breadcrumbs
- 25g of plain flour
- 100g of butter or margarine(softened)
- cold water
- you might want to make extra for decoration on top
- For theFilling
- 225g of golden syrup
- zest and juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
- 75g of fresh breadcrumbs
- 20cm fluted flan dish
- enough baking parchment to line the dish
- Turn the oven onto 190 degrees (gas mark 5) For the pastry: put the the breadcrumbs in a bowl along with the flour then using your fingers rub in the softened butter, it should be crumbly. Next add a fine sprinkling of water, gather the pastry into a ball and cover with cling film. Put in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Line the dish with baking parchement so that it covers the base and sides, dont worry about trimming it. Unwrap the pastry, then using your knucles roll it evenly into the lined dish, make sure it is well pressed to the sides; however you should leave a slight ridge at the side so that the filling does not spill out. Now put it back in the fridge for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile make the filling
- Warm the golden syrup, gently in a pan with the lemon rind and juice, it should become quite watery and runny.
- Take the pastry case out the fridge and sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly in the base. Then pour in the syrup slowly into the breadcrumbs. Now is the time to add any decorations with the pastry. Then cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.