Greengage & almond tart
Member recipe by laurabethmcn
- For the pastry
- 100g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 200g plain flour
- 75g icing sugar
- a small pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- For the frangipane filling
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g ground almonds
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- a few drops of almond extract (optional)
- 4-5 greengages, halved and stoned
- 25g flaked almonds
- For the pastry, place the butter, flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and blitz until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the ground almonds and mix in. Finally add the eggs and almond extract (if using) and mix until smooth and combined. Set aside in a fairly cool place.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out enough so it will fit in a 25cm tart tin. Line the tin with the pastry. Place a piece of baking parchment onto the pastry and cover with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the baking beans and parchment and bake for a further 5 minutes. The pastry should be lightly golden. Remove from the oven.
- Halve and stone the greengages if you haven't already, place in a bowl and sprinkle over 1 tbsp demarara sugar.
- Pour the frangipane mixture onto the pastry case and spread evenly over the surface. Press the greengage halves on top of the mixture and sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream or softly whipped cream.