Lavish lemon cake
Member recipe by tia_terror
- For the cake:
- 250g of softened butter. (And a little extra for lining the tins)
- 250g of Sugar.
- 4 Eggs.
- 250g of Self-raising flour.
- 4 Teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2 Zest of lemons.
- 2 Juice of lemons.
- 2 Drops of lemon extract.
- For the filling and topping:
- Lemon curd jam (to fill the middle of the two layers of cake).
- 125g Of icing sugar.
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Preheat the oven at 180C, grease and line two circular tins for baking.
- In a bowl place the softened butter and the sugar together and using an electric whisk beat until combined and soft. Then add the eggs and beat until combined and smooth.
- In a seperate bowl mix the flour and baking power together. Then add it gradually whilst folding it in to the bowl of your wet ingredients.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and without lumps as this will give a smooth and soft sponge. Then add the zest of two lemons and the juice of the two lemons also, and whisk again to mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into your two lined tins (Tins should be greased then lined with greaseproof paper and two of them are required as the cake has two layers ). Then place in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until golden.
- When the cake is done and has been cooled and peeled off the greaseproof paper. Cut the top of one to make it flat and then smoother with lemon curd as a filling (as much as you like personally) then place the other layer on top. Mix up the lemon icing to the correct consistancy (adding more icing sugar to thicken or more lemon juice to make it more watery, just until you can draw a figure of eight that doesn't disappear right away.) Then pour and smooth over the top and let it set. Then enjoy with a nice afternoon cup of tea or coffee. ^_^