Member recipe by pudding1234
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
A Quick and easy way to serve up one of your favourite five a day in a sweet and delicate cake.
- For the Cupcakes
- 125g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 45g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 3 large tomatoes
- 50ml of water
- 50g of caster sugar
- For the Cupcake Icing
- 3 tbsp of boiling water
- 250g of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of red food colouring
- For Decoration
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven 170 degrees celsius (325 degrees F) Gas 3
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and beat at a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk in incorporated.
- Whisk the egg and the remainder of the milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated. Continue mixing until the mixture is smooth, Do Not Overmix.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters, then put them in a frying pan with water, boil at a quite high temperature. Gently add the 50g of sugar to the tomatoes. This will pull all the juices from the tomatoes and make a sweet mixture. Turn the heat off when the mixture is of a gooey texture, Remove the tomatoes. Add the the sugar mixture to the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 mins or until light golden and the sponge bounces bake when touched. Leave the cupcakes to cool.
- Then pour 3 tbsp of boiling water in a bowl, then spoon in the icing sugar bit by bit and stir in. When the icing sugar is all in the consistency has to sticky and smooth, then add the red food colouring and stir. Spoon on to each cake.
- For decoration purposes only, chop a few cherry tomatoes in half and place one on each of the cupcakes.