Creamy Haddock Gratin
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
- 300ml full-cream milk
- 1 small onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 long strips of lemon peel
- 500g haddock fillet
- 40g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 2 tbsp white wine / vermouth
- 100g Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- 3 tbs double cream
- For the Gratin:
- 25g white breadcrumbs
- 15g Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- The gratin cropping: Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley. Set aside.
- Pour the milk into a deep frying pan, add the onion, bay leaf and lemon peel. Place the fish skin-down in the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes in which time the the fish continues to cook slightly in the warmed milk. Drain the fish in a colander, reserving the milk in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly over a medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer and continue stirring until smooth and thick. Stir in the wine, cheese, mustard and cream. Cook over a low heat for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Flake the fish into chunks. Discard the onion, bay leaf, lemon peel and fish skin. Add the fish to the pan with the sauce and heat gently for another 2 minutes.
- Heat the grill to hot, divide the fish mixture between 4 small bowls or a large, flat one. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mix and place under the grill for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.