Lamb, coffee & date tagine
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
- a bit of cake flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1,6kg lamb shanks or stewing meat
- olive oil
- 4 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cardamom pods, slight crushed under a knife blade
- 1 star aniseed
- 1 whole cinnamon scroll
- 500ml prepared coffee
- 500ml beef stock
- 200g whole dates, pitted
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Sprinkle the seasoned flour over the meat and pat dry. Heat the oil in a frying pan ad brown the meat on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan and place it in a oven-proof bowl or tagine.
- Add the onion, garlic, cardamom, star aniseed and cinnamon to the meat. Pour the coffee and beef stock over the meat. Put the lid on the bowl and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 150C. Bake for 70 minutes, add the dates and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice or couscous.