Member recipe by marleymoo20
this carrot cake will tickle your tastes buds with savoury cake and tangy filling!
- 300ml (10floz) sunflower oil
- 225g (8oz) soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 175g (6oz) golden syrup
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp crushed cloves
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g (8oz) carrots, coarsely grated
- 55g (2oz) desiccated coconut
- 55g (2oz) raisins (optional)
- 1tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- For the frosting:
- 550g (1lb 4oz) cream cheese
- 4tsp orange zest
- 4tbsp orange juice
- 4tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- preheat the oven to 180C /350F/gas butter and flour the cake tins.
- blend the oil,sugar,eggs and golden syrup in a large bowl, then beat in the flour,spices and bicarbonate of soda. Finally fold in the carrots, raisins,coconut and walnuts.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins, level the tops and bake in the oven 30-45 minutes or until a fine skewer plunged into the centre comes out clean. Leave the cooked cakes to rest in the tins for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- while baking heat the sugar with 3tbsp of water in a pan until it dissolves. bring it to the boil and stir until it thickens. add the orange peel and cook until it stiffens and caramelises. Remove from the heat and cool on a plate.
- Beat the frosting ingredients together with an electric beater until smooth and creamy. use half to sandwich the cakes together and spread the remains over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with candied orange peel.