Member recipe by tartanjuda
Home made delicious Christmas cake with simple ingredients. Enjoy decorating it with your family or friends!
- [for the sponge]
- 4 large eggs
- 90g granulated sugar
- 65g plain four
- [for the filling and decoration cream]
- 300ml whipping cream
- 30g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Baily's or Irish cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
- [for the topping]
- Milk chocolate, grated
- Blue berries
- Icing sugar
- and any other fruits and sweets you would like!
- Heat oven 180c/fan. Line the non-stick baking paper into about 30x30 square Swiss roll tin. To make the sponge, beat the eggs in the large bowl, add the sugar and whisk with hand mixer until it becomes almost white, fluffy and contains a lot of small babbles.
- Add the flour gradually into the egg mixture and each time mix well together with a spatula. The mixture now becomes smooth but runny and quantity will be reduced by about half.
- Pour the mixture into the tin evenly and drop the tin onto the table from a few inches few times to get rid of air babbles before put in the oven. Bake for 10-12minutes. Once the cake is out of the oven, let it cool for 5 minutes out of the tin then cover the surface with new baking paper to avoid drying the sponge out.
- Meanwhile, whisk the filling and decoration ingredients altogether in a bowl until it becomes stiff.
- Up side down the sponge, and peel the lining paper gently. Make sure the sponge is completely cool, then spread half of the cream over the sponge evenly. (If you put too much cream, it won't be whirling pattern as the picture) Roll the sponge gently but as tight as you can by using a rolling pin under the baking paper to help you. If the filling overflows, remove with a small knife. Put in the fridge at least 1 hour to settle.
- Once it settles, spread the remaining cream over the surface evenly, and by using a fork make some lines to make it look like a log.Sprinkle the grated chocolate over the roll, then decorate with blue berries and icing sugar or any other fruits and sweets as you like. Enjoy!