Chicken and ginger
Member recipe by icenine
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of dried chilli
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 8 chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- A few glugs of white wine (optional)
- 2 bunches of spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of green asparagus, roughly chopped
- In a pestle and mortar, grind the ginger, garlic, chilli and lemon juice into a paste. Slash the skin of the chicken thighs so they absorb the flavour, and rub the seasoning all over.
- Heat a dash of good olive oil in a large frying pan. When the oil is ready, put the chicken thighs in, skin side down first. Colour evenly on both sides. As the chicken skin starts to render down, pour away any excess fat, then add the white wine to deglaze any caramelised juices. (If you would rather not use wine, you can also deglaze with water.)
- Keep turning the chicken until it is cooked evenly on both sides ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ this should take about 15-20 minutes, until you are able to put a knife straight through it.
- To finish, baste the chicken in its juices, then add a squeeze of lemon juice. When ready, remove from the pan and saute the sliced asparagus and spring onions. Add the chicken to the pan with the vegetables, then serve all together.