Vietnamese Gressingham Duck
Member recipe by gressingham
Roast Gressingham Duck Breasts with a Vietnamese noodle and mango salad
- 2 Gressingham Duck breasts
- Pinch of salt
- For the salad
- 200g rice noodles
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced into rings
- 1 ripe mango, diced approx 1cm
- 1 finely diced red pepper
- Small sprig of coriander, leaves removed
- Small sprig of mint, leaves removed
- For the dressing
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes, plus a few lime wedges to garnish
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Preparing the dressing Combine and mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cooking the noodles Cook the noodles (as per the packet instructions), before plunging into cold water and draining.
- Preparing the salad Combine and mix all of the salad ingredients, minus the noodles, lime wedges and coriander, in a bowl and set aside.
- Preparing and cooking the duck Pre-heat an oven to 200C/Gas mark 6. Score the skin on the duck breasts six to eight times with a sharp knife and season on both sides with salt. Place the duck breasts skin-side-down in a non-stick pan on a low to medium heat. Cook for six to eight minutes, or until the skin is golden brown and crispy, before pouring off any excess fat and flipping over the breast. Cook and seal the breast on this side for around 30 seconds before removing from the heat. Turn the breast back onto the skin-side and place into the pre-heated oven for around six minutes for medium rare duck. Remove the duck from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes.
- Putting everything together Set aside two tbsp of dressing (for garnishing later). Place the duck breasts and their juices into the remaining dressing and mix. Set aside for five minutes before removing the breasts from the dressing and placing them on a chopping board.
- Take the drained noodles and toss them with a little oil and lightly season. Add the dressing and salad and mix well before dividing onto serving plates. Finely slice the duck and place on top of the salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing on top and garnish with lime wedges and coriander.