Member recipe by kayleydore
a whopping meringue, that will not only impress but will feed a crowd, beautiful and seemingly foolproof.
- 8 Egg Whites
- 500g Caster Sugar
- 4tsp Cornflour
- 2tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2tsp Vanilla Essence/Extract
- 600ml Double Cream
- 1tsp Vanilla Essence/Extract
- 200g Blackcurrants (fresh or frozen)
- 200g Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 25g Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4 Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and draw a rough 25cm/10in diameter circle onto it, A standard dinner plate is a good tool.
- In a LARGE bowl, seperate the egg whites and whisk until soft peaks form, then whisk in the Sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture is firm and glossy and holds stiff peaks when whisk removed.
- Add in the Cornflour, Vanilla and Vinegar and gently combine with a metal spoon.
- transfer the mixture to the prepared baking parchment, keeping within your pre drawn circle, with a spatula smooth out the top and edges.
- place in the oven and IMMEDIATLY reduce the temperature to 120C/Gas 1/2 and cook for 1 Hour. Then turn the oven OFF and leave the meringue to cool completly.
- Once cooled completly remove the meringue from the oven (at this point you can freeze for 1 month or place in an airtight container for a few days) and place top down onto your serving platter and remove baking parchment.
- topping - whisk you cream to firm peaks and add the vanilla then heat your cranberries in a pan for a few moments until softened. add the blackcurrents and icing sugar. Once soft but still retaining thier shape seive the fruit over a bowl, retaining the sauce.
- assembly - Cover the meringue with Cream and cover with the cooled berries. drizzle coulis over the entire meringue and voila you are complete. you can dust with icing sugar if you prefer.