Mums Toad in the Hole
Member recipe by chris210
Before my mum passed away she gave me the recipe for her Toad in the Hole I loved so much when growing up.
- For the Hole (Batter)
- 2 eggs
- 113 g Plain flour (4 oz)
- 230 ml Milk (8 fl oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp thyme (optional)
- For the Toad
- 8 sausages (a pack of your favourite variety)
- Put the oven on at 220C and put the sausages and oil in a large enamel/metal dish. Don't use a glass dish as although it looks pretty doesn't conduct the heat well enough to get the wonderful batter rise. Bake the sausages in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While they are cooking, put the eggs, flour, salt and milk in the food processor and blitz to a smooth batter. Alternatively whisk by hand or electric whisk. I like to add some thyme at this point, but that is optional.
- When the sausages are ready, pour the batter all over the sausages and put back in the oven for 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven) until crisp and golden.
- Serve with carrots, peas and maybe even mashed potatoes.