Welsh Rhubarb Cake
Member recipe by debrasheaf
More of a pie with a crumble topping than a cake, but still gorgeous. I didn't make this one up, it is from an old magazine, but well worth sharing.
- Cake mix
- 85g butter
- 85g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85g self-raising flour
- 1tbsp demerara sugar
- pinch of salt
- may need drop of milk
- 455g rhubarb
- for the topping:
- 60g butter
- 85g plain flour
- 30g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 190 C/ gas 5. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin ( I use a loose bottom pie dish)
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs. Fold in flour and pinch of salt. If needed add milk to give a dropping consistency.
- Slice rhubarb 2.5cm thick and toss in demerara sugar.
- To make the topping, rub butter into flour and stir in sugar.
- Pour cake mix into tin. Arrange rhubarb on top. Sprinkle topping over.
- Bake 40-45 mins. Serve with a dollop of cream.