White Banoffee Squares
Member recipe by padwan88
ServingsServes 1 - 16 Squares
A re-make of the Classical Banoffee pie in cake form. Light moist white chocolate banana cake topped with sticky toffee sauce, chocolate shavings and dried banana - and mini eggs if made for Easter :)
- 75g Supreme Sponge flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 60g Sugar
- 60g Butter, Softened
- 2 Medium Happy Eggs, beaten
- 50g White chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50g mini fudge pieces
- 2 Ripened Bananas, mashed
- For the Caramel sauce and cake decoration:
- 60g Dulce de Leche (Homemade from 1 can sweetened condensed milk)
- 40g Low fat soft cheese
- 1/2 pot 150ml fudge yogurt
- 50g White chocolate, wafered
- 50g dried bananas, 1/2 chopped
- mini eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line a square baking tray with grease proof/Baking paper.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, little by little making sure to whisk thoroughly in between each new addition. The eggs will curdle but do not panic!
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour and baking powder. Slowly spoon the flour into the egg mix, whisking well. Once combined add the mashed bananas, fudge pieces and white chocolate.
- Pour the mix into the prepared tray, and place into the middle of the oven. Bake for 15-20 mins or until the cake is spongy to the touch, and when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, around 30mins. Once slightly cooled carefully remove from the square tray and leave to completely cool on a wire rack, around 1 hour should do it!
- For the sauce topping, add to a bowl of 60g Dulce de Leche (mine was homemade though carnation caramel will also be fine) combine the soft cheese and fudge yogurt. If the mix appears too thin, slowly heat over a pan of simmering water until required consistency.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the cake and carefully with a palette knife spread the mixture up to the sides of the cake and level out the top. Decorate with the wafer chocolate and dried bananas. I chopped half of the dried bananas and mixed them in with the chocolate shavings. Decorate with mini eggs too if wanted. Chill the cake in the fridge until the sauce is set and slice into even squares and enjoy :)