Rich chocolate mousse
Member recipe by katepressland
ServingsServes 1 - 2 Portions
- For the mousse:
- 2 eggs
- 110 g good quality dark chocolate (or half dark and milk chocolate)
- Recipe easily doubles up: 1 egg and 50 g chocolate per person/serving
- Optional topping:
- Whipped cream and chopped walnuts/pecans
- Separate the eggs carefully and whisk the yolks gently until just turning light
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks using a food processor, electric hand whisk, or by hand (this will take longer). Make sure no trace of grease or yolk is in with the whites.
- Melt the chocolate until smooth gently in a bowl suspended in a saucepan half-filled with water. Constantly stir with a dessert spoon to ensure the chocolate does not burn.
- Take off the heat and add the egg yolks to the chocolate - this will cook the eggs slightly. Leave to cool for 15 minutes
- Fold in the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until fully mixed then split mixture between ramekins or wine glasses. Cover with foil or cling film and chill for 2 hours. Add topping if desired.