Fudgy Chocolate Cupcakes
Member recipe by vicwhyte
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
Delicious chocolate cupcakes based on a traditional New Zealand recipe! Anyone can make these, they're ready in 20 minutes from start to finish!
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 150g plain flour (minus 2 tbsp)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa
- 60ml cup milk
- 1 tbsp soured cream
- Optional chocolate ganache icing:
- 100g chocolate (milk or plain)
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Cream butter, vanilla and sugar with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold flour, baking powder and cocoa into creamed mixture. It's a good idea to sift the cocoa powder as it often has lumps.
- Stir in the milk and soured cream lightly to combine.
- Place paper cases in your muffin/cup cake tin and spoon mixture into each case. I use a dessert spoon and get 12 large cup cakes.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 12-15 minutes, until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To ice: you can eat these cup cakes warm with no icing and they are delicious and chocolatey. To ice - I personally use a chocolate ganache but a cocoa buttercream icing would also be yummy. For ganache - gently melt the chocolate and cream with the golden syrup, stirring continuously until thick. Leave to cool slightly then spoon over the cupcakes. The ganache will harden slightly as it cools.