Spicy cashew chicken
Member recipe by ravi311
- Chicken 500g (cut into medium sized pieces)
- Cashew nut 75g (grind to paste)
- Shallots 7 pcs (sliced across into thin pieces)
- Cardamom 5 pcs
- Cinnamon stick 1 pc (1.5 inch long)
- Dried nutmeg 1 teaspoon (crushed)
- Large red onion 1 pc (sliced diagonally)
- Chilly powder 5 tablespoon
- Meat curry powder 2 tablespoon
- Asafoetida powder 1 tea spoon
- Potatoes 2 pcs (cut into four, precooked in microwave oven)
- Olive oil 6 tablespoons
- Ground black pepper 1 tea spoon
- Water 2.5 cups
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cardamom and cinnamon. Once fragrant, add half the shallots. Fry till shallot becomes brown.
- Add some water and turn chilly powder into a paste. Do the same for the curry powder. Add both pastes into the oil and stir until pastes dry into a fragrant mix. The paste colour will become darker upon frying.
- Mix fried spices, asafoetida and paste with chicken. Mix well till paste coats all chicken pieces. Add a little water if necessary. Add salt. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours in a closed container.
- Add 2 tbsp oil and fry the large onions till mildly brown. Add cashew nut paste and stir. Add ground black pepper. Stir till mixture is well blended. Add marinated chicken and pour 2.5 cups of water.
- Mix and allow to boil. Upon reaching boiling point, simmer the mixture for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- At the end of the cooking (once chicken pieces are cooked), sprinkle nutmeg powder and close. Serve with rice, bread or plain noodles.