Pork & Apple Lasagne
Member recipe by tj3nk1n5
A twist on an old standard favourite. If you can wait it out, this is well worth it
- 500g Lean Pork Mince
- 2 Large Red Apples, (Empire, etc.) Finely Chopped (skin on)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 75ml Red Wine
- Red Sauce:
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 White Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 6 Button Mushrooms, Finely Chopped
- 2 Fresh Red Chillies (Medium Hot), Finely Chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes (Plum Tomatoes Preferably)
- 1 tbsp Acacia Honey
- White Sauce:
- 85g Butter
- 85g Plain Flour
- 750ml Milk (SS)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 10-12 lasagne Sheets
- 1 bag "salt 'n shake" Crisps (Without Salt)
- 2 Decent Handfuls Grated Cheddar
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Brown the pork mince in a pan, add the Apples and the cinnamon and simmer for about 15-20 mins or until the apples have all but disintegrated. add the red wine
- Meanwhile, in a separate large pan, or wok, heat the oil. Add the onions and garlic, and brown *slightly*. Add the peppers, chillies and honey. Simmer for 5 mins, and add the tomatoes and Mushrooms.
- When the mince and apples are done simmering, add to the vegetables, turn right down low and leave to simmer for a couple of hours.
- Transfer the mix to a slow cooker and cook on lowest setting for 4-5 more hours, allowing the sause to reduce and thicken. turn off and chill overnight.
- Next morning, return to the slow cooker and leave it to do its thing all day...
- White Sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour, then cook for 2 mins. Slowly whisk in the milk, then bring to the boil, stirring. Turn down heat, then cook until the sauce starts to thicken and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Layer the Red/White sauce and lasagne sheets in a large dish, and on the top (White) layer, crush and sprinkle the crisps, cheddar, and parmesan. Move to a preheated (190°C) oven, Give it 40 mins, remove, let cool for a few minutes. and, finally, tuck in! Serve with garlic bread and/or a nice salad, and a glass or 2 of your favourite Red ;)