Baileys Ice Cream
Member recipe by pittero
- 575ml whole milk
- 450ml heavy cream (double cream)
- 125ml BaileyÃ¢ÂÂs Irish Cream
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 225g sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Combine the milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise & scrape out the seeds. Stir the seeds and bean pod into the milk/cream mixture. Bring the mixture to a slow boil over medium heat, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a medium bowl. Use a hand mixer on medium speed to beat until the mixture is thick, smooth, and pale yellow in colour (similar to mayonnaise), about 2 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean pod from the milk/cream mixture and discard.
- Measure out 1 cup of the hot liquid. With the mixer on low speed, add the cup of hot milk/cream to the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream. When thoroughly combined, pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk/cream mixture and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Transfer to a bowl through a sieve, stir in BaileyÃ¢ÂÂs, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap placed directly on the custard, and chill completely.
- . Process custard according to the ice cream machine manufacturerÃ¢ÂÂs directions. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container, cover ice cream directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and place in freezer. Because of the alcohol it will take about 10 hours to freeze. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.