Chocolate Mayonaise Cake
Member recipe by littlecooks
Some people may turn their nose up when you say 'have a slice of Mayonaise Cake' but once they've tasted it they will change their opinion. A deliciously rich cake, ideal for special occasions or just as a treat.
- 10 zo (285g) self raising flour
- 8oz (225g) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 7oz (200g) mayonaise
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 8 floz boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- for the icing
- 1 tub of Betty Crocker ready mix chocoalte frosting
- ---- or ----
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3oz (85g) soft margarine/butter
- 8 oz (225g) sifted icing sugar
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder & mayonaise. This is best done by an electric food mixer to ensure the mixture is throughly mixed.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water & stir into the mixture along with the essence until throughly blended.
- Place the mixture into a 7 inch greased & lined cake tin.
- Bake at gas mark 4/ 180C/ 350F for 30 - 40 minutes. Test with a skewer.
- cool in the tin before removing.
- For the icing - If you are using Betty Crocker ready mix chocolate frosting go straight to step 9.
- Dissolve the coffee & cocoa in the hot water.
- Cream together the margarine/butter & icing sugar. Beat in the cocoa liquid.
- Spread over the top & sides.