Japanese Potato Cake
Member recipe by tartanjuda
ServingsServes 1 - 15 Cakes
Soft and sticky texture, one of my favourite snacks since I was a child.
- 4 medium fluffy potatoes(about 650g), peel and diced into even-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt (for boiling water)
- 10 tbsp corn or potato starch
- 20g butter for frying the cakes
- (For the sauce)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 60ml water
- Prepare the sauce: mix all the ingredients in a small cup and set aside. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water until very tender. Drain thoroughly, then return to the pan while still hot and mash quickly till smooth.
- Add the corn or potato flour to the mush and mix well using your clean hand until no lumps remain. (if the mushed potato is too hot to touch, wait till it cools a little)
- Divide the mixture into about 15 -18 portions (each weight is about 40g), shape each one into a round-flat see photo.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, with medium heat, fry both sides of the cakes until slightly burned and nicely coloured.
- Pour the sauce over the pan, reduce the sauce to make a little thick and gently turn the cake into the sauce to cover - Serve hot.