Member recipe by stephie_kay
A perfect family food with hints of mediterranean spice. Great with a rocket salad and Fresh Greek or Italian bread. A healthy alternative to beef mince
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g chicken mince
- 1tbsp dried (Greek) Oregano
- 1 heaped tsp Mixed Italian Herbs
- 200ml red wine
- 250g tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp Grated hard cheese (e.g. parmesan)
- 10 Cannelloni tubes (cooked (or not) depending on packet instructions)
- 1 packet Bechamel sauce (pre-made according to packet instuctions)
- 6 slices low fat cheese
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Heat the olive oil in the pan and fry the onion and garlic. Once softened, add the chicken mince until no longer pink and the juices have ran out. Add the Oregano and Italian spices. Fry for another 7-10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Increase the heat to high and add the wine. Allow it to evaporate into a shallow simmer. Once mostly evaporated, add the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to medium/low. At this point add the bay leaves, put the lid on, season and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook your cannelloni tubes in salted boiling water for 4 minutes or according to packet instructions. Strain, rince in cold water and allow to cool.
- Once the chicken mixture has simmered for 7-10 minutes, remove the lid, stir in the grated hard cheese and olive oil. Leave to stand for 5 minutes for the meat to soak up some of the juices. (If too runny leave the heat on for a little longer)
- Once your tubes are cool enough to handle, stuff the mixture into each tube with a spoon. Layer them nicely in your oven-proof tin
- Pour a relatively thick layer of your bechamel sauce on top of the tubes. Layer the sliced cheese on top cook in oven for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden. Once done, change your oven onto highest grill and grill for 3-4 minutes to allow the topping to golden and crisp slightly.