Spinach & Chickpea Curry
Member recipe by joeynana
Lovely vegetarian curry - if you can get your hands (or make your own) paneer Indian cheese - cube it, fry it just before the end and add it to the sauce! Really yummy!
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 130ml coconut milk
- 110g dried chickpeas
- ÃÂ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ÃÂ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ÃÂ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2.5cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 75g raw cashew nuts
- 50g ground almonds
- 220g spinach, washed
- A handful of freshly shelled peas (optional)
- 1 lime
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Then simmer in fresh water for 1 hour, until tender.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Toast the seeds under the grill until they release their scent. Grind with a pestle and mortar or a mill. Fry the onion and carrot in the vegetable oil for 5-7 minutes. Add the chilli, garlic, ground spices, cooked chickpeas, turmeric and ginger. Fry everything together, using a little more oil if necessary.
- Add the cashews and almonds, stir, then add water to barely cover. Bring to a simmer then keep on a very low heat for about 25 minutes until the almonds have thickened the curry. Add the spinach and peas (if using) and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and lime juice, add the coconut milk and half the coriander. Sprinkle the remaining coriander on top and serve with coconut rice and mango chutney.