Salt & Pepper Squid
Member recipe by richardsimmonds
- 750g squid, cleaned
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon szechuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium-hot red chilli, sliced (deseeded if you prefer)
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- Cut along one side of each squid pouch and open out flat. Score the inner side into diamonds with the tip of a sharp knife and then cut into 5cm squares. Separate the tentacles if large.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Add all the peppercorns and toast for a few seconds, shaking the pan, until they darken and start to smell aromatic. Tip into a mortar and coarsely crush. Stir in the sea salt
- Heat a wok until smoking. Add half the oil and half the squid (tentacles and all) and stir-fry it for 2 ½ minutes until lightly coloured. Tip onto a plate and repeat with the rest of the squid
- Return the squid to the wok and add 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper mix (keep the rest for a later date). Toss for about 10 seconds and then add the chilli and garlic and toss briefly. Distribute the squid between 4 plates. Serve immediately.