Banana and Chocolate Cake
Member recipe by rozzyx
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Slices
Tasty and easy to make, this cake is a great way to use up left over bananas.
- 4 or 5 medium sized ripe bananas (approx 450g)
- 2 medium sized eggs, beaten
- 150g brown sugar
- 100g sultanas
- 200g self-raising flour
- 10 squares of dark chocolate (which have been chopped into quarters to make little chunks, or use chocolate chips - you can decide on the quantity according to your taste!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (160 for fan assisted) or Gas Mark 4 and line a medium sized loaf tin (I used a tin which is about 8" square) with grease proof paper
- Mash the ripe bananas in a large bowl, pour in the beaten eggs, sultanas and sugar, then sift in the flour and stir into a nice thick mixture.
- Pour one third of your mixture into the loaf tin then sprinkle in some chocolate chunks, add more cake mix, then sprinkle in more chunks and repeat - adding the chocolate this way rather than stirring it into the mix prevents the chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the mixture and burning.
- Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin. Then enjoy! I find it makes about 10 large slices but it could go further. I keep it in the fridge and it lasts well. It also lends itself well to variations - by removing the chocolate and using just cinnamon it becomes a low fat banana loaf.