Mamgu's Bara Brith
Member recipe by nesswah
A traitional Welsh family 'Bara Brith' recipe. Delicious smothered in butter with a nice hot cup of tea.
- 300g dried mixed fruit
- 350ml boiling water
- 3 tea bags (I use PG Tips)
- 180g soft brown sugar
- 230g self raising flour
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the three tea bags into a jug and add the boiling water. Leave to brew for 5 minutes.
- Place the dried mixed fruit in a mixing bowl, pour over the tea and dispose of the tea bags. Leave overnight.
- Add the sugar to the mixture and stir until disolved. Next add the whole egg, the flour and finally the mixed spice and ground cinnamon. Mix until the mixture resembles a thick cake like batter.
- Grease a loaf tin and pour in the cake mixture. It should come up no higher than half way, as the cake will rise in the oven.
- Place on the middle shelf of a preheated oven at 150 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes or so until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack. Serve with butter and a nice hot cup of tea!