Salmon and Leek Chowder
Member recipe by kiixi
- 30g butter
- 3 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 450g (organically farmed) salmon
- 200ml full-fat milk
- 400ml fish stock
- 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 25ml double cream
- 2tbsp coarsley chopped coriander (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan, add the leeks and a splash of water, cover and sweat the leeks over a medium heat, until soft. It will take around 15 minutes.
- At the same time, put the salmon in a pan and add the milk. Bring to a boil, then turn down immediately and let the fish poach gently for around 5 minutes.
- Add the stock to the leeks and drop in the potato chunks. Bring to the boil and then simmer, until the potatoes are just tender.
- Break the fish into large flakes (removing and discarding the skin) and add the milk and fish to the leeks and potatoes. Season with pepper, pour in the double cream and heat through.
- Serve in warmed soup bowls with coriander scattered on top.