Lil Red's Flatbread
Member recipe by padwan88
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Batches
- 200g plain flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 level tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper (grounded)
- 1tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp Mixed herbs
- 1 fresh egg
- 50ml warm water
- 1 lime
- If using a food processor, place all dry ingredients into the processor bowl. In a separate bowl loosen up the egg using a fork.
- Place the egg into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Pulse until the mixture becomes like breadcrumbs, and all ingredients are coated with the egg
- On a low setting, slowly pour the warm water into the mix. Until a soft ball of dough forms.
- If not using a processor, place all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, loosen up the egg. Then make a well in the middle of the flour, and pour the egg into it. Slowly mix the egg into the dry ingredients. Gradually add the warm water into the mixture, until the mixture starts to come together into a soft dough. (proceed to step 5).
- Tip the dough out onto a slightly floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes (or 10-15 minutes if doing it manually- Until the dough is soft and pillowy). Allow the dough to prove for 10-15 minutes.
- After proving, roll the dough into a sausage shape and divide it into 8 small round portions.
- Roll out each portion thinly, about the same width as a pound coin.
- Heat a flat pan, with a little oil to prevent sticking. When the pan is hot place the rolled out portion into the middle.
- Cook each side 3-4 minutes. The flat bread will "puff up". To serve, remove the excess oil from the bread. Open the bread up and fill with your favorite fillings. Squeeze over the lime juice and enjoy. :)