Tomato and Mint Soup
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 dried lime leaves / 2 fresh bay leaves
- 12 tomatoes, finely chopped (6 beef tomatoes and 6 Roma tomatoes gives a richer taste to the end product)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cake flour
- 200ml milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 100ml fresh cream (optional)
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until softened, about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir for 1 minute, over medium heat. Slowly pour in the milk and stock, stirring continuously until smooth. Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the tomato mixture and discard the lime/bay leaves. Mix in the chopped mint, sugar and cream (if using). Gently simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve with crusty bread.