Roasted vegetables with rice
Member recipe by fluffyhelen
A lovely summery and light meal. I first ate this in a cafe in Oxford, UK and set about perfecting a version at home. Enjoy !
- You will need:
- 1 x butternut squash
- 4 x small beetroot (vacuum pack from tesco)
- 1 x sweet potato
- 1 x pack of cherry tomatoes
- 1 x can of chick peas
- Paprika, cumin, tumeric, coriander leaf and ginger
- 175g of the rice of your choice
- Optional: sultanas to mix into the rice.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Chop up the vegetables into reasonably sized chunks. The chunkier the better for roasting. Spread out evenly in a *large* roasting tin. NOT THE CHERRY TOMATOES OR CHICKPEAS.
- Fill up a cup (small white IKEA variety works fine) half-full with olive oil and then add the following herbs in reasonable quantities: paprika, cumin, tumeric, coriander leaf, ginger (and anything else vaguely Indian sounding).
- Pour the oil mixture over the vegetables.
- Put roasting tin in the oven and roast for approximately 40 minutes. Approximately 20 minutes in, stir the veg around a bit to make sure they roast evenly.
- After 40 minutes remove tin, add can of chickpeas and the cherry tomatoes.
- Put tin back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes. At this stage you should also set the rice cooking.
- Serve the roasted vegetables on a bed of rice.