Member recipe by stelladias77
Try this snack for your next party. Easy and fun. This is an inexpensive recipe. They are shaped like ducks.
- * FOR THE DOUGH:
- * 100 grams Flour, All Purpose
- *1/4 teaspoons Salt To Taste
- * 50 grams Butter, Chilled
- *1/2 whole Egg Yolk, Beaten
- * 50 milliliters Water Cooled
- * _____
- * FOR THE FILLING:
- * 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- * 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Chopped
- * 1 Tablespoon Red Onion, Chopped
- * 50 grams Smoked Salmon, Crumbled
- * 25 grams Prepared Or Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- * 1/4 teaspoons Black Pepper
- * 1/2 teaspoons Salt To Taste
- * 1/2 whole Egg Beaten
- Sift the flour. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add approximately 1/2 of a beaten egg yolk and the water. Mix well your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take the chilled dough and roll out into a 12 inch square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin.
- Put the greased molds onto a 12-inch square pastry sheet. (I made the duck mold out of thick paper. I covered the paper with aluminum foil. Before using a duck mold, brush it with butter or cooking spray.) Break off pieces of dough and press them into the mold -ÂÂ make sure the dough goes up the sides as well but make sure to leave a hollow in the middle for your filling mixture.Then trim off the excess pastry.
- In a pan heat 1/2 table spoon olive oil over medium high heat, add garlic and saute until slightly softened. Next add onion, salmon, and prepared (or leftover) mashed potatoes. Mix until onion is softened and everything is heated through. Add pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Place your prepared filling in the pastry duck. Brush the edges of the pastry with some egg wash (the reserved 1/2 of the beaten egg) then place additional pastry (you can use scraps that have been rolled flat) over the top and press down to seal.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 200C degrees or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- After that, you can decorate the duck shaped snack with eyes and mouth/beak. I have done so in the photo using food coloring for the eyes and mouth/beak.