Strawberry and Walnut Cake
Member recipe by fetchgirl
This light walnut sponge is filled with wild strawberries and cream and is absolutely delightful. However, if you would prefer a lighter version, you can use creme fraiche.
- 3 extra large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- For the filling and topping:
- 300ml double cream, whipped
- 450g fresh Alpine or wild strawberries, plus extra for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven o 180'C/Gas mark 4. Grease and base line an 8inch (20cm) deep round cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Measure the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk at full speed with an electric whisk until the mixture is thick and mousse-like and leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture. Sift the flour onto the mixture and lightly fold in with chopped walnuts. Turn into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 40-45 minutes until well risen, golden and firm to the touch. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- When cold, cut the cake in three, horizontally. Fill lavishly with the whipped cream and strawberries. Spread the remaining cream over the top and sides of the cake and decorate with the reserved strawberries.