Member recipe by maserati4200
- For the basic soup:
- 2 litres water
- 4 organic chicken stock cubes
- 1 400g tin of coconut milk
- 2 heaped teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 heaped teaspoons of ground coriander
- 2 heaped teaspoons of chilli powder
- 2 small tins of tomato puree
- Juice of 1 lime
- For the flavouring ingredients:
- 2 finely chopped onions and fried in butter until soft and golden
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney juice (from a jar of chutney, excluding any lumps of chutney)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped bacon, fried in oil until crisp
- Chopped cucumber
- Chopped tomatoes
- Boil the water, add the stock cubes and, once the stock cubes have dissolved, add the rest of the basic ingredients. Cover the pan and bring back to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes with the pan still covered. Add the fried onions, chutney and salt and pepper. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes (pan still covered). Leave to cool for a while and then blend the soup in order to incorporate the onions fully.
- Adjust the seasoning if required, e.g. spices, lime, chutney, salt & pepper. If you prefer a thicker consistency, simmer the soup until it reduces as required. Serve the soup and add the bacon bits and the chopped cucumber and tomatoes into each bowl, garnish with some fresh coriander. Alternatively, serve the flavourings in separate bowls so that each person can add what they like.
- If you'd like a more substantial meal you use additional flavouring ingredients, e.g. quartered hard-boiled eggs, boiled rice, prawns, chopped spring onions, sliced chillies etc.