Member recipe by jul34es
- 6 large eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g strawberries or raspberries
- 548ml double cream
- baking parchment
- make the meringue first,pre-heat the oven to 120c/gas 4.cover 2 solid baking trays with baking parchment and draw 20cm circles on them.
- separate 2 of the eggs and place the whites into a large clean bowl.keep the yolks to one side to use later.whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.mix 100g of the caster sugar and the cornflour and add to the egg whites one tbsp at a time,whisking well with each addition.divide the meringue between the trays and spread in the circles.bake the meringue for an hour then turn oven off and leave to cool in oven with the door ajar.
- line a 900g loaf tin with cling film.hull and puree the strawberries in a food processor,then whip the cream until soft peaks.
- when meringue is cold then make custard,place 3 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks into a heatproof bowl.add the remaining sugar and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.set the bowl over a pan of simmering water without the bowl touching the water.whisk for 4-5 minutes until it starts to go frothy then take off the heat and use an electric whisk to beat until pale and thicker.
- chop half the meringue into pieces then add to the cream with the egg mix and mix together.put a layer in the loaf tin then add a bit of strawberry puree,then cream mixture again,save some of the puree for later.cover with cling film then put in freezer overnight.
- following day take out when set and slice,putting coulis on the side,put the rest of the strawberry puree through a sieve .