chill bean Casserole
Member recipe by sebastienladuguie
- * ÃÂÃÂ½ pound Uncooked Kidney Beans
- * ÃÂÃÂ½ pound Mixed Vegetables (carrots, bell peppers and celery)
- * 1ÃÂÃÂ½ pints Stock
- * 2 pints Water
- * 1 Garlic Clove (pressed)
- * 1 Onion (chopped)
- * 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- * ÃÂÃÂ½ tsp Basil
- * ÃÂÃÂ½ tsp Cumin
- * ÃÂÃÂ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- * 14 ounces Tomatoes (chopped)
- * 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- * 2 ounces Bulgur Wheat
- * 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- * 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- * 3 tbsp Red Wine
- * Salt (to taste)
- * Pepper (to taste)
- rice ( if you want to serve with)
- Soak the beans in water and drain after some time. Wash them well under running water.
- Boil in high flame in fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes, depending upon the freshness of the beans. It takes longer to cook older beans.
- # Drain the water off and preserve the liquid for being used later. Place a pan on medium flame and add olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic and fry them.
- Add the cooked beans, chopped vegetables, basil, chili powder, cumin and cayenne powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, put in the tomatoes, tomato paste, bulgur wheat and 1 pint of the preserved stock.
- Bring to a boil on a high flame. Reduce heat, cover the top and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, red wine, salt and pepper.
- Add more stock if the consistency becomes too thick. Cook for a further 20 minutes. serve hot