Member recipe by jbc777
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- For the sponge
- 4 free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz sugar
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 225g/8oz butter, melted
- For the icing
- 170g/6oz icing sugar
- 110g/4oz butter
- 55g/2oz cocoa powder, sifted
- To decorate
- white chocolate buttons
- milk chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and prepare two 12-hole tartlet tins with fairy cake cases.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the flour and the butter, folding the mixture together gently.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the fairy cake cases.
- Bake the cakes for 10-15 minutes, until golden on top and a skewer carefully inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Allow to cool for ten minutes on a wire rack before removing from the tin.
- To make the icing, whip together the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder
- Once the cakes are cool, ice them liberally
- Decorate the cakes with chocolate buttons, sticking them on at a 90 degree angle in layers all the way around so each cake resembles a chrysanthemum flower.