Heavenly Macaroni Cheese
Member recipe by burragej
- - 250g/9oz macaroni
- - 40g/1ÃÂ½oz butter
- - 40g/1ÃÂ½ plain flour
- - 600ml/1pint 1ÃÂ½fl oz milk
- - 250g/9oz grated cheddar
- - 50g/2oz grated parmesan
- 1. Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- 2. Melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan slightly larger than that used for the macaroni. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- 3. Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce.
- 4. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot. 5. Remove the sauce from the hob, add 175g/6oz of the cheese and stir until the cheese is well combined and melted.
- 6. Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish. 7. Sprinkle over the remaining cheddar and the parmesan and place the dish under the hot grill. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve straightaway.