Member recipe by pendlehill
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g pack smoky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 6 spicey sausages
- 3 x 400 g cans butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 85g coarse breadcrumbs
- Turn the oven to 170C. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the bacon until just crisp. Tip into a shallow, flameproof casserole with a lid. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry for 5 mins, until softened. Tip into the casserole.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the chicken thighs until golden brown all over, then add to the casserole. Fry the sausages until brown and add to the casserole with the beans. Pour the stock into the pan, scraping any bits from the bottom, and bring to the boil. Add the tomato puree, tomatoes and herbs, stir well, then pour intion the casserole and season.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the surface in a thick, even layer. Bake uncovered for about 30 mins, until a golden crust is formed. Serve warm.
- Make the dish to the end of step 2, Cool, then transfer to a freezerproof container, cover and freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat from frozen: turn the oven to 160C. Transfer the cassoulet to a casserole and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Cook for 1 hour 25 mins or until hot and bubbling and a crust has formed.