Homemade Sweet Orange Peel
Member recipe by stelladias77
Don'ÂÂt throw away orange peel. It is a great snack for those on gluten-free diets.
- * 1 cup Orange Peel
- * 1-1/2 cup Water
- * 3/4 cups Sugar, Divided
- Remove the white pith part from the peel. This white part is bitter. Cut the cleaned peel into strips about 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the peels in a large saucepan and add 1 cup cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 40 minutes or until the peels are soft. Next, rinse them with tap water. Drain the strips in a colander.
- After that, place 1/2 cup sugar and remaining 1/2 cup of water in a medium-sized heavy-bottomed pan and cook until sugar dissolves. Add peel. Cook1 -2 minutes. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and place the peel on a wire rack and allow to dry overnight. After it has completely dried, toss with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and store in an airtight container.