Cinnamon Stars / "Zimtsterne"
Member recipe by zetallgerman
ServingsServes 1 - 100 Cookies
These delectable little cookies are traditionally eaten in Germany at Christmas time, and are best stored in a metal tin to retain their chewy texture.
- 6 eggs (whites only)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 450g icing sugar (sieved)
- 900g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tbsp blackcurrant jelly
- Pre-heat your oven to 150C.
- Whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff, and gradually add the icing sugar.
- Once the mixture is combined and glossy, take about 10 tablespoons aside (you'll need it later.)
- Now add the nuts and spices with the jelly to the egg-sugar mixture and stir until well combined.
- Roll-out dough about 1cm thick. --> TIP: this dough is very sticky. Roll it out between 2 sheets of cling/plastic wrap... it works well this way!
- Cut out stars (or hearts) with a cookie cutter and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Now take a brush and add the previously set-aside icing onto each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 10-15min. The surface should still be white and they are allowed to still be a little soft when they come out of the oven (they are meant to be "chewy" and will still harden a little once they are cool).