Member recipe by vstothard
- 2-3 tbsp veg oil
- 1lb 5oz shallots, peeled
- 2lb 12oz boned shoulder of lamb, cubed
- 1lb carrots, peeled, halved or quartered if large
- 3lb medium potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 (unless using slow cooker). Heat half the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the shallots until golden, turning often. Remove and set aside. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan, then fry the lambover a high heat until well browned.
- In a 4.8 ltr casserole dish, layer the meat with the shallots, carrots, potatoes and herbs, seasoning in between each layer.
- Mix 850ml cold water with the pan juices and Worcestershire sauce, then pour over the meat. Cover with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper (to keep the dish moist) and a lid, then bake for 2 hours until really tender (4-5 hours in a slow cooker).