Member recipe by nawazcook
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (250 ml) tomato juice (made by liquidising tomatoes in a mixer and straining)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1" piece ginger, crushed
- 3 green chillies, minced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 400 gms vegetables, finely chopped (potatoes, corrots, frend beans, cauliflower, peas, celery, capsicum, fresh corn, etc. in any combination)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour, dissolved in a little water
- FOR THE PASTRY:
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (margarine or butter)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
- Heat 3 tbsp oil and fry the onions till they begin to brown. Add the tomato juice, garlic, ginger and green chillies
- Add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1 tsp coriander-cumin powder. Add vegetables.
- Bring to a boil. cover and simmer on medium heat for 15 mins or till tender. Add tomato sauce, corn flour paste and stir till thick.
- Place in a 9" circular greased deep pie pan. Cover with pastry.
- Sift together flour and salt. Rub in shortening add cheese and rub till mixture resembles small peas.
- Sprinkle with 4-5 tbsp cold water, mixing just enough so that it holds together.
- Form into a ball and roll it into 9" round to fit the dish.
- Slash the top of the pastry at 4-5 places to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (450F) for 15 minutes, till the pastry is well risen and golden brown. Serve