Sweet & sour bean curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 - 4
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 30g ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder (check it’s gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g can black-eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can butter beans (not drained)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp light brown soft sugar
- handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 80g natural yogurt
- cooked rice or naan, to serve
- STEP 1
Put the onion and ginger in a mini food processor or blender with 30ml water and blitz to a smooth paste.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook for 5 mins until golden. Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute.
- STEP 3
Add the black-eyed beans and the butter beans along with the liquid from the can, plus another 50ml water, stirring to combine. Lower the heat, partially cover and cook for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender.
- STEP 4
Stir in the lime juice and sugar, then season to taste. Stir in most of the coriander, then serve in bowls, topped with the remaining coriander, a spoonful of yogurt and with rice or naan on the side.