How to prepare and carve a turkey
Give your roast turkey the care and attention it deserves this Christmas, from preparing it for the oven to carving it at the table. Just follow our step-by-step guide.
How to prepare a turkey
Once you’ve chosen the perfect turkey recipe for Christmas Day, it’s important to keep the bird moist during cooking. An easy way to do this is to insert butter and rashers of bacon underneath the skin – here’s how in three easy steps:
1. Spread the butter under the skin
Carefully push your hand between the turkey breast and the skin to create a pocket. Spread the butter under the skin.
2. Add the bacon
Arrange the bacon in 2 rectangles of 6 overlapping rashers, then carefully push these under the skin.
3. Lie the bacon flat
Feed all the bacon under the skin to lie flat and cover the breast, then smooth the skin back over.
Now you’re ready to roast your turkey according to your chosen recipe. Our foolproof turkey guide should help you with timings, and you can print off our Christmas time-plan to make scheduling the rest of dinner a breeze.
How to carve a turkey – step-by-step
1. Releasing the drumstick and thigh
Cut through the skin that attaches the leg to the body. Ease the thigh outwards and cut through the joint to remove the leg and thigh.
2. Cut through the drumstick and thigh
Cut between the drumstick and thigh until the knife hits the joint; twist the knife through it to separate the two.
3. Slice or serve the drumsticks
You can now leave the drumsticks and thighs whole, or carve into slices – the easiest way is to hold a piece up and carve around it.
Now follow one of two methods below for how to carve the breast meat.Carving turkey breast: method one
Do this at the table for large slices
1. Make a deep cut across the bottom of each turkey breast
2. Starting at the neck end, cut long thin slices down the length of the bird.
3. Keep going until you reach the breast bone.
If you remove the wishbone when you get to it, you’ll keep carving neat slices.
Carving the breast: method two
Do this in the kitchen for good portion control
1. Make a deep cut across the bottom, then cut all the way down the top of the turkey, either side of the breast bone.
2. Cutting as close to the bone as possible, carve out the whole breast, pulling it away as you cut.
3. Carve the breast into thick-ish slices.
Video: how to carve a turkey