Points to remember
- Make sure your eggs are really fresh.
- Add a small dash of vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water.
- Crack eggs individually into a ramekin or cup.
- Create a gentle whirlpool in the water to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Slowly tip the egg into the water, white first. Leave to cook for three minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, cutting off any wispy edges using the edge of the spoon.
- Drain onto kitchen paper – nobody wants eggy poaching water making their toast soggy or wilting their salad.