Master this classic Italian rice dish that can be served as a starter or main.
Points to remember
- Fry onions, garlic and any vegetables that need softening before making the risotto, in a little oil.
- Add risotto rice (such as arborio or carnaroli) and fry until translucent.
- Add wine if using, and reduce, stirring constantly.
- Add a ladleful of hot stock, cook over a medium heat and keep stirring until all the stock is absorbed.
- Repeat this until all the stock has been used, the rice has no chalky core when you bite into it, and the risotto is thick and glossy. Add any final ingredients such as butter, cheese or soft herbs.
- Keep stirring - this helps the starch ooze out of the rice and gives risotto its creamy texture.
- Try not too add too much stock at once - you'll find it takes even longer for the rice to absorb it.