Member recipe by vstothard
- 6 ripe pears
- 3 1/2 oz caster sugar plus 4tbsp
- 1lb raspberries, thawed if frozen
- 9oz bought chocolate sponge, cut into 1cm slices
- for the custard
- 5 1/2oz good quality white chocolate, chopped
- 400ml carton fresh custard
- 1/2 pt dbl cream
- to decorate
- 2 ripe pears
- 3 1/2 oz sugar
- 1 3/4 oz plain chocolate
- Preheat oven to gas 120C, 250f or gas 1/2 and line a baking sheet with grease proof paper. Prep the decoration:without peeling or coring them slice the two pears very thinly from the top to the bottom. In a frying pan dissolve the sugar in 3 1/2 floz water over a medium heat. Bring to the boil then simmer for 3 mins. Remove from the heat, add the pear slices and leave for 2 mins. Remove with a spatula, place on the baking sheet and place in the oven 1 1/2 hours until golden.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and quarter the remaining six pears. Heat 1 pt water with 3 1/2oz sugar in a large pan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pears and simmer for about 8 mins until they are just tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a pan over a gentle heat, cook the raspberries and the remaining 4tbsp sugar until the berries just start to soften. Drain a spoonful on kitchen paper and reserve for decoration. Set the rest aside to cool.
- Place half the sponge fingers in a glass bowl. Arrange half the pears on top and cover with half the raspberries. Repeat this layer again.
- Make the custard: Melt the chocolate in the microwave then leave to cool. Pour the custard into a large bowl and stir in the melted chocolate. Lightly whip the cream and fold into the custard. Pour over the trifle and chill until set.
- Stand pear strips in the centre of the trifle, sprinkle over the reserved raspberries and chopped plain chocolate.