summer daube of beef
Member recipe by vstothard
- 2.4 - 3.5 lb topside of beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4oz unsmoked bacon, chopped or lardons
- large sprig thyme
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 pint white wine
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp pitted black olives
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. season the meat all over, then heat the oil in a large heavy, flameproof casserole. Fry the meat until browned all over, add the bacon and fry until lightly coloured. Stir in the garlic, thyme, canned tomatoes, wine and seasoning. bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover tightly with a lid.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 2 hours. Stir in the fresh tomatoes, carrots and olives and return to the oven for 1 hour until the meat is tender. Can be served immediately or left in the fridge for up to 2 days. can be frozen for up to two months. Perfect for a weekend away!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…