mums christmas cake
Member recipe by sharon0ne
- 9 oz currants
- 4 oz sultanas
- 4oz raisins
- 6 oz cherries
- 4 oz candied peel
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 5 oz plain flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- grated lemon rind
- grated orange peel
- 5 oz butter
- 5 oz brown sugar (light bown sugar)
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cocoa
- 4 oz dates
- 4 oz ground almonds
- pre heat the oven to 150c/fan 140c/gas 2
- put all currants/raisins/sultanas/candied peel/lemon and orange rind in a large bowl, along with the brandy,leave to soak for at least two hours, you can use tea if not using brandy, no milk in tea.
- beat butter and sugar tgether, until pale, add beaton eggs, a little at a time, if starting to curdle, add a little flour
- add all dry ingrediants, to the mixture, add any remaining ingrediants, then mix both wet and dry together,in a large bowl.
- line a 8" round tin, add the mixture, wrap brown paper round the outside of the tin, to stop cake burning, whilst baking, also place a sheet a greasproof over the top, after 1 1/2 hours , turn oven down too 140/130c for another hour or until cooked,
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…