french onion soup
Member recipe by elle8890
- 5 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 20g/ÃÂ¾oz butter
- 2 or 3 glasses of red wine
- 750ml/1ÃÂ¼ pint fresh beef stock
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 thick slices of bread
- 284g/10oz gruyÃÂ¨re cheese, grated
- 2 shots of brandy (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 10g/ÃÂ½oz flatleaf parsley
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and garlic. Then using the butter saute in a large pan for 15-20 minutes, until brown. Stir well before adding the red wine, stock, vinegar and brandy. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Toast the bread and top with the grated cheese and place under the grill until the cheese is melted.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Keeping the soup in the pan, top with the sliced bread and a sprinkle of cheese. Place under the grill until it turns brown and the cheese has melted.
- Scatter with fresh chopped parsley and serve from the pan at the table.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…